This summer, I flew to fourteen cities, met hundreds of incredible people, and accumulated almost three days above 35,000 feet in the air—all while working hard at the job of my dreams.
As an Intern in the Communication and Outreach Department at Southwest Airlines, I gained valuable experience by writing Company documents, planning events, and learning the ins and outs of communicating on behalf of a major corporate Company. From planning an exciting city opening in Wichita and creating Southwest’s first Instagram video, to having multiple writing assignments and spending Independence Day in our nation’s capital, my internship experiences at Southwest are ones I will never forget.
But the thing that stood out the most to me about working here? The Culture. Southwest Employees pride themselves on being a Family, and after a summer working at the Company’s Headquarters in Dallas, I understand why. The People at Southwest have an unmatched passion for their job, something I find extraordinary in today’s working world. I know that many of the people I worked with at Southwest will be mentors and friends for years to come.
Does my experience sound too good to be true? Does it sound like something you’d love to be a part of? Lucky for you, the Southwest Airlines NoLimits Internship Program is looking for qualified, passionate individuals for Spring and Summer 2013. Southwest offers internships in a wide range of departments—Marketing, Maintenance, Finance, and Communications, just to name a few!
My fellow summer Communications Intern Liz Blumberg (who is with me in all the pictures above) and I put our heads together to come up with a few things we wish we would’ve known at the start of this incredible journey:
- Apply for ALL the positions that you are qualified for. You may end up in a department that you absolutely love, even if you didn’t know anything about it initially.
- Be honest in your interview. Why do YOU want to work at Southwest Airlines? Be genuine, because it’s easy to tell when you’re not.
- Yes, free flights are a great perk of the internship. However, it’s a privilege and not a right—being a diligent Employee is your ultimate responsibility.
- Moving to Dallas for the summer isn’t as scary as it sounds! (I live in Florida and I have LUVed my time in the Lone Star State!)
- Remember, this is one of the most competitive internship programs in the country. For the Summer 2013 internship session, Southwest received more than 13,000 applications for just about 80 spots. That’s an acceptance rate of less than one percent! So, put thought and care into your application materials and interviews.
Don’t miss out on the flight of your life! Southwest will begin accepting online applications for both the Spring AND Summer 2014 NoLimits Intern positions beginning Monday, August 19.
For complete information and to apply visit http://www.southwest.com/internships.